the summer Hmong men tales is ending
Kao-Ly Yang
2006-08-05 17:57:01 UTC
Hi all,

Enjoy the last story about Hmong men before school starts again, then I will
have less time to think about living beings' problems.

As some of the comers in this forum are very sensitive: Warning so : Do not
take personally! It is just a fiction inspired by the many trees in "Lost
Lake park" in Fresno that has seen too many men hang themselves because of
solitude, anger and frustration. One never knew their reasons of suicide,
but could guess that modern life with its package of financial difficulties,
women's freedom, low self-esteem, socio-cultural adaptation has caught them
because, less flexible to accept changes.

------
Beginning of the story:

Possessed by a Lost Spirit of Grief or It's a Simple Wickedness ? When a
Hmong Man became crazy

That night was the longest night in their life. Yingying was the nickname of
the husband, 33 years old and recently married to Maysee.
They were fighting for a motive that she ignored, and that he did not
understand himself well since he felt very confused at the same abused.

Yingying was calling names towards his 30 years-old wife when Maysee opened
the door of their house:

- "Ghost of seeking death, Ghost of hunger, Ghost of homeless, Ghost of
craziness, Ghost of reincarnation", etc.

She was shocked, not knowing what happened while she was away, working as an
aid-cook at the restaurant "Get Full" in downtown Fresno, California.
- "Why did you call me with these names?" she asked, "What did I do to
deserve them? Tell me, right now. Explain yourself!"

Long silence, then again the chain of bad ghosts came out of his mouth.
(...)
- "Tell me what I did to be called of those awful names!" asked again
Maysee, angry and sad .

But still no logical answer, just another charge of more intense insults: -
"Face of dead, face of hunger, face of homeless, face of unworthy woman,
face of sex, face of ghost, face of losing face, etc."
- "Get out of my house", finally answered Maysee. I cannot tolerate you
anymore, if you are not happy with me, just get out with your things, never
come back. I am the one who has two jobs and pay the rent. You don't deserve
me?.

The husband did not move a thumb. In front of the TV, he kept repeating more
coarseness. Fat and wearing only his briefs, he was on the sofa, dark and
intolerable.
After 30 minutes, trying to get the reasons of such a behavior, Maysee
finally understood that somebody, one of his friends, had told him that
women like her working at such places in late night, might have affairs.
There was no doubt at that, he said. (...). Read the whole story, click
here http://www.geocities.com/kaoly_y/story/SpiritAnger080406.html
--
Kao-Ly Yang, Ph.D.
http://www.hmongci.com
Hmong Contemporary Issues
Khamsing
2006-08-05 18:22:15 UTC
Post by Kao-Ly Yang
finally understood that somebody, one of his friends, had told him that
women like her working at such places in late night, might have affairs.
There was no doubt at that, he said. (...). Read the whole story, click
here http://www.geocities.com/kaoly_y/story/SpiritAnger080406.html
--
Kao-Ly Yang, Ph.D.
http://www.hmongci.com
Hmong Contemporary Issues
Mr. Kao-Ly Yang,

Interesting story, I remember this type of life/story while I was a little
boy. Ghosts of such and such will come to hunt you, the people said in Laos
in order to make me obey their commandment. I was so scared when I was
little. Now I do not think Ghost really exist (at least in my mind). I
only invite God to be in my mind.

My big brother who believes "Nothing will happen After death" but then again
he is so afraid of Ghosts, Sin is not an object he said (no wonder why he
committed so much sins, I know we all have sinned, we're supposed to
decrease sins not increasing). It makes no sense based on his statement.
Any way thanks for sharing. There is no need to suicide especially for the
young's, there is always a solution (time will pass the pains away from the
sufferers, then come the blessings).
Kao-Ly Yang
2006-08-05 19:44:55 UTC
"Ttime will pass the pains away from the sufferers, then come the
blessings".

Thank you for this wonderful thought; it is very helpful after writing such
a dark story.
I never intended to write so much stories during my years in the US as an
anthropologist in exil from France.
But, I don't know why I feel so inspired, not always by nice, kind or awsome
stories, but more likely by the sad, sorrowful or unsposken stories of many
couples that I have come to encounter ... . My academic papers could ever
content such stories ... only stories of untold urban tales like this one
could display pains, difficulties, complexities of being minorities, of
bieng men or women of this century under national laws.

I feel so sad while writing these stories because they should never have
taken place in any lives and so written. But, such lives exist, and they
need to be written to help men and women of good will to learn from each
other, from oneself ... In these situations, I think there is thing to do:
there is need to evoke and awaken compassion, understanding and hope.

Have a good day

KL
a***@yahoo.com
2006-08-06 00:43:03 UTC
Kao-Ly Yang,

Isn't there some better and uplifting story to tell other than the sad
and helpless hmong life in America?
Kao-Ly Yang
2006-08-06 01:02:10 UTC
Happy people have nothing to say about themselves, except to tell sad
stories of others.
I feel I have to tell these stories because nobody really writes about these
issues with complexities and understanding.

I also encourage al of you to write stories because the Hmong modern
literature is not limited to Maineng Moua's production and all the books
written in Hmong with no punctuation with themes dated still of the 19th
century style with "Kuv nyiam koj, koj tsis nyiam kuv ces ... kuv (depending
on how you like to end the story -- but these ends are not numbered): Let's
move to something beyond the cultural ideology of a
perfect-world -if-nothing-change and if-nothing-is said.

Brother, happy or sad stories help people to understand and acquire some
distance with themselves so that they may find way to a better quality of
life by thinking of life from books...
Guess so why the country that produces the most successful movies is
America: ... because movies keep making people of this country dream in
spite its geometrical design and emptiness in the everyday life.

Good night ... happy to be always fank.

KL
h***@yahoo.com
2006-08-06 05:37:51 UTC
Tsov tom Nkauj Lhi aw , ua li cas koj yuav txawj piav
txaus ntshai ua luaj li naw ua rau kuv pws tsis tsaug zog lawm
nawb . Tam li kuv pom los mas txiv neej hmoob lhub lhub poj niam
hmoob heev hov yog tsis paub sib khib siab lawm ces maum
nyuj mus noj zaub lawm ib lub roob , txiv nyuj mus noj zaub
lawm ib lhub hav tsaus ntuj nyias mam maub nyia los pws
hauv nkuaj ces zog tag ua ntej lawm ob tug twb tsis xav sib
tshiav sib plhws lawm .

Muab xav qhov tia Khib thiaj yog lhub , yog muab xav qhov tia
Khib yog phem neeg nyob ntawm tus poj niam txawj teb xwb las
as , tsis nyuaj lho li os yog poj niam ntxias txiv neej lub
siab nas ib dia kua zaub tsuag cev kiag rau tus txiv lub
qhov ncauj xwb ces lub siab zoo kiag lawm .

Nkauj lhi , ho kuv pom tia poj niam siab phem npaum nkaus
nws cov kua muag poob ntws lug laiv puas yog ?

TUBNTSUAG
LoneWriter
2006-08-07 15:26:33 UTC
Kaoly,

I applaud your courage to write and continue to do so, however it is
easy to see that your character has no life of their own except that
they are your fictious agenda and hatre in disguised. The reading was
difficult to conprehend at certain point, which reflects the
carelessness invested in the writing. To sway thinking, one would
probably want to be as thorough and concise as possible, even in a
fictious story.

I am not a scholar or scientist. I don't hold a B.S.,B.A., and far from
a Phd. I am just a Hmong kid who want to understand your side of the
spectrum.

There seems to be a hunger, thirst, void in your heart, which over the
years have been filled with or evloved into hatre - walking the line of
being irresponsible. You know with a Phd - come great responsibility.

I am not aganist what you are trying to do. It is easy to see you have
a goal to root out all you believe to be evil in the Hmong male-female
relationship. These behaviors you expressed as concerns are concerned
of many societies. I respect that.

However I think your method is counter-productive. The way you
introduce your story of Hmong Men is sexist and bias, over generalized
the population - in the process you have distance yourself from Hmong
male allies, those who also support your endeavor.

I believe that in retrospect, the struggle some hmong females'
experiences in their relationship are no greater then the struggle of
some males. For either sex to grow and overcome their own sense of
insecurity, lost, hope, and pride, it really takes more then just
bashing each other through writing and bias articles. If one is to
write bias article and fictious story - it should be understood by the
writer that that is only the beginning of the work for change, and the
heart of the matter is the issues are still at large.

If you really want change instead of self gratitude (which is what you
are doing now), you'll need to create a team consist of equal males and
females to identify what are the issues. Once you identify the issues,
you have only scratched the surface, the true cause of the issues may
lies within history, social development, war trauma, abused, mental
disability, etc. If you really want change in any relationship
behaviors - you don't blame people, because at the end of the day,
you're no better then the people you blamed. If you trully care, you
help people identified the issues, and you help develop ways for people
to help themselves. Maybe one day you'll realize you can't stop society
from being mean to each other, but perhaps you can help people cope
with their lost and pain as part of the process of spiritual
development. I hope that as you help these people, eventually you'll
also find a way to cope with your own personal lost and pain.

Sincerely,

Lonewriter
Siv Yis
2006-08-07 18:48:07 UTC
NKauj Hlig.

Ua cas tsis "WRITE ABOUT POJ NIAM HMOOB LI MAS". Are you really a
contribute writer or you come here to look for some thing and we men
just to don't get your point. I don't know if other do or don't. But I
really do get your point. If I live close to you or you live close to
me I am sure will invite you to have a good lunch and have a good time
to gether for a few hours..

Siv Yis ...
Kao-Ly Yang
2006-08-08 03:41:57 UTC
ha ha ... twb yog kuv sau sau txog poj niam ces sawv daws hais kom kuv sau
txog txiv neej ... Tam si no kuv sau txog txiv neej ces .. rov hais kom sau
txog poj niam ... what do you want?

Just let people express and explore their creativity ... . I am really
curious about the low middle class Hmong men lacking education and distance
with themselves, with little knowledge about their own culture and lacking
of course social and intellectual skills, facing however real challenges of
our times (divorce, couple relationship, mistrust, ) ... and trying to be
responsible ... This is a real problem of our time (You would excuse me if I
told you that the name of my website is HMONG CONTEMPORARY ISSUES see
www.hmongci.com .... so I explore currrent issues ... in writing.

I am currently reading Jean Pouillon's book where there is a chapter about
the modes/levels of comprehension of fictive texts ... This academic text
really helps me to understand -- very interesting --- you Hmong people in
this forum: you do not read beyond your own fear, your own circle of
friends, your fear of losing face, your lack of openess; otherwise, you read
with one dimension -- the social dimension-- and one need -- saving the face
of others-- and of with your incapability of seeing a story of symbol of a
time, of a language of intold facts, of others' way of perceiving realities,
facts ... Go beyond the I-save-all- the Hmong people --
or-she-cannot-write-stories-that-are too closed to others' lives . Do you
know that the Nobel Price of literature, Ernest Hemingway's stories are
based on real people ... Authors need to inspire from real people, real
facts, real stories, but to TRANSCEND the lives of individuals into more
meanings and stories. It is not stigma or stereotypes as you could believe
... Not so simple. But all writers need to take an angle, the salient side,
the most sensitive, and they need to give life to the situation in choosing
to undnerstand from which or whic point of view ....

My goodness, I am doing my class of reading and composition right now for
you ... Well, if you are interested to learn more ... Take my class of Hmong
100 composition and reading at Fresno state ... We will discuss a lot about
writing fiction ... .

Let's keep in mind that Literature has the purpose to help people to read a
text from different perspectives: from the author, its characters, its
times, one specific problem.... etc.

I wonder if there are some Hmong people who could go beyond the rigidity of
their fear or of the Hmong traditionalist society with its deciphers .. or
are there any people who are beyong fear of being reflected in others'
stories or are there any people who still believe that they need to kill
whomever have the courage to open the mouth.

I do not reduce you guys in writing with passion, love and understanding.
On the contrary, I gave the opportunity to people like you who would not
ever have the opportunity or the courage to explain-silently- in situation
your life that goes beyond your understanding ... .

Be open minded ... Let people be. You don't need to love them, but you don't
need to hate people because they write things that make you feel moved to
move on.

Kao-Ly
Siv Yis ...
Kao-Ly Yang
2006-08-08 04:04:52 UTC
Son Siv Yis,
It's your mom!
Son, go and clean your room instead bothering others.
I think you did not learn yet your lesson.

KL
Siv Yis ...
Siv Yis
2006-08-08 14:20:48 UTC
Post by Kao-Ly Yang
Son Siv Yis,
It's your mom!
Son, go and clean your room instead bothering others.
I think you did not learn yet your lesson.
Kuv Tus me Maiv Nkauj Hlig..

Kuv yuav tsis hu koj ua niam vim koj thiab kuv kuv ces "yeej sib
.....tau", li ntawd kuv thiaj li hu koj ua kuv me leej muam Dr.
Kao-Ly Yang, tus ntxim hlub, ntxim zoo nwj, ntxim zoo ua. Koj tsis
paub kuv tus siv yis no zoo kiag li. Kheev lam koj lam nyob kuv mas
koj yeej muaj ua Dinner kiag xwb..

You have no clue who is SIV YIS.. so, next time call me "Honey"
instead of "Soney".

Siv Yis.
Kao-Ly Yang
2006-08-08 14:26:15 UTC
Lonewriter,
You have your sexist person just here with Siv Yis.
I hope you see exactly what people call sexist and the rest of the name.
Thank you Siv Yis, for your demonstration. Excellent wrok. It was helpful to
demonstrate Lonewrite's view and other's too.
You can go back to your lessons.
Siv Yis.
LoneWriter
2006-08-08 14:53:54 UTC
Kao-ly,

Exactly my point, your approach is counter-productive, it creates more
hate and misundertstanding more than educate.

But who really gives a flying phuck right? Life is all about doing what
you will make you happy even if it doesn't get anywhere.
Siv Yis.
Siv Yis
2006-08-08 15:00:52 UTC
Post by Kao-Ly Yang
Lonewriter,
You have your sexist person just here with Siv Yis.
I hope you see exactly what people call sexist and the rest of the name.
Thank you Siv Yis, for your demonstration. Excellent wrok. It was helpful to
demonstrate Lonewrite's view and other's too.
You can go back to your lessons.
Ab ya ..leej muam Hmoob Yaj tus ntxim sib sib zog hlub - ua cas siab
tsis ntev li mas, ua cas luag tso dag tso luag xwb twb chim lawm. Ab
cas tsis nyob ze kuv ne, es cia kuv sim ua ib thaj neeb txhaj tshuaj
saib koj saib kuv tus me leej muam puas yuav luag ntxhi tuaj.

Siv Yis
LoneWriter
2006-08-08 16:00:49 UTC
Kao-ly,

Of course fictional story are base on facts including people and life
events, even raccoon. It just seems like the way you introduced your
story, you're looking for self-fulfillment and propogating your agenda
aganist Hmong men disguised as the work of a Phd. You can't hide your
hatre and irresponsible acts behind "Fictional" work.

What the world need is love not blame. If a person is using their Phd
to blame the opposite sex for behavioral relationships WITHOUT any
conclusive study into the mentality, abuse, historical, psychological,
social, economic impact on each partners that formulate their current
behaviors, well most 14 years old kids can do the same without a phd.

Just because we don't have Phd, doesn't mean we're as stupid as you
think. I bet I know more Hmong non-Phd who makes a hella lot more money
than the PhDs. Just because there is a title Phd next to a person's
name, they should try to be humble, because there's always someone out
there smarter then they are. LOL.

In reading your writing, I learn more about you then your characters -
why? because the the intro, the point of view, dialouge, etc. of your
characters are really just your own view. Being open minded is being
able and willing to accept that there's more then one way to achieve
your objectives.

In this case you want change in Hmong behavioral relationship between
male/female - behavoirs that evolved over hundreds perhaps thousands of
years to come to this point. I agree - some of these behaviors are
offensive, wrong, and sexist in all races not just Hmong. White, Black,
Chinese, Japanese, etc. These folks have it too. If you want change
then use your Phd to study, identify the cause(s), find solution, and
implement - evaluate and try again and again... It's a life long
journey.

Right now what you're doing is pointing fingers and letting society
bite itself to death - which is irresponsible.
Siv Yis
Siv Yis
2006-08-08 18:38:54 UTC
LoneWriter

Thaub LoneWriter.. koj mas twb tsis "understand kuv tus me leej muam
ntxim hlub, ntxim nwj, ntxhim nhia, thiab ntxim ua Kao-Ly no li nas".
Cia kuv sim qhia kiag lub ntsiab saib .. Kuv tus me leej muam no yog
tuaj "search for tus hlub xwb mas". Koj saib kuv hais tias yog nws
nyob ze kuv no ces kuv yuav coj nws wb mus noj "Dinner". Thaum kuv
hais li no tas xwb no ces nws ib ce twb tuag los tas lawm nas. Nws twb
tsis kam teb kuv lawm nas...

Puag yog nab "me qab zib" or " kuv tus me honey".

Siv Yis.
Yawg
2006-08-09 15:45:32 UTC
Guys,
Kaoly may have a point. I too am tired of hearing this 'Romeo and
Juliet' stories in our community so maybe a bitchy story along those
line is the next growth phase for the few who are true artists. Granted
that Kao's particular interests are advocating for her gender and
though she may have bias views, she is entitled to those views.

Bitch-on girlfriend!
LoneWriter
2006-08-09 15:55:05 UTC
Yawg,

I don't have a problem with what she's writing about, more likely I've
been trying to help her achieve her objective. I am trying to
understand how far she is willing to help nurture the Hmong male/female
relationship.

Most of my main characters are strong and defiant Hmong female, who
stands up aganist society at many levels, but I am not about to over
generalize the male population or point finger that the male are the
cause of my female character's misery.

Anyway I am interested in what Kao-ly is doing unless she already hate
my guts.
Bitch-on girlfriend!
Yawg
2006-08-09 16:46:09 UTC
Lonewriter,
You know our women; they can smell "it" a mile away. It might be the
smell that's setting her off but I doubt it's your guts that she hates.
I think Kao do have an affinity for your constructive criticisms, it
just that maybe she is too reserved to admit it.