A letter from Jerry Daniels (1941-1982)
e***@gmail.com
2016-09-22 05:03:53 UTC
Hmong National Development staff in Washington DC feel that it is important to
reprint this letter because it still carries great relevance for us today, as
we appreciate his hopes and dreams for the Hmong and Lao. From the "Hmong
Voices in Montana" by the Missoula Museum of the Arts Foundation. Susan
Lindbergh Miller, Bounthavy Kiatoukaysy Thao, Tou Yang, editors. 1992.
A Letter From Jerry Daniels (1941-1982)
CIA Ethnic Affairs Officer in charge of Highlander and Lao Refugees
Excerpted from a letter to his Hmong friends in Namphong refugee camp,
Thailand,
December 31, 1975 for the first Hmong New Year after the fall of the Lao
government to the Communists and the subsequent American withdrawal from Laos.
Please allow me this opportunity to wish all of you the best of luck and the
happiest New Years for 1976. While to many of you the future looks bleak and
discouraging, I am confident the Hmong people, provided with the adequate
resources, can and will start a new and interesting life this year...
I believe the future life seeds to be planted this year during the Hmong
resettlement and readjustment to the changing times, should not scatter you in
mind and heart, but rather should result in better educating and preparing
your future generations on how to best cope with the ever changing world
situations as they apply to the Hmong.
This is not accomplished by striving for the same old things of yesteryear, or
caring only about your individual needs. But rather by collectively looking
ahead, and in addition to maintaining your same basic traditional ways of
life, you also expand horizons through further education, travel, acquiring
new skills and interests, etc...
By following that road which expands wisdom and following that road only can
the proud Hmong name and heritage survive with dignity...
I hope you all believe me when I say that your welfare has always been, is now,
and will always continue to be of the highest priority interest for me and my
fellow
USA co-workers. I still remember that I and perhaps other americans who are
representatives of the United States government, have promised you, the Hmong
People, that if you fight for us, if we win, things will be fine. But if we
lose, we
will take care of you...
Admittedly we may not always be able to assist you as much as we would like,
however when we fall short it certainly is not because of forgetting or not
trying, two things that none of us who have lived with you will ever be guilty
of for the remainder of our days.
Again, Happy New Year, and the very best of luck for all of the Hmong, not only
this year but for many thousands to come.
Warmest Regards,
Jerry
Is there a physical copy of this letter anywhere?
zajlaug xyoo
2016-09-24 15:40:08 UTC
Eric email me if you want a copy of Gayle Morrisson's book.
***@gmail.com
e***@gmail.com
2017-03-05 22:20:47 UTC
Post by zajlaug xyoo
Eric email me if you want a copy of Gayle Morrisson's book.
Thanks. I just sent you an email.